Recently I was chatting with some friends and mentioned the Greenway trail in the West Of Ireland that runs from Achill to Westport. It was all news to them so I thought I’d post a short blog on it.
The 42km Great Western Greenway is the longest off-road walking and cycling trail in Ireland which follows the route of the renowned Westport to Achill railway which closed in 1937.
The Greenway trail can be divided into three sections as follows:
- ACHILL to MULRANNY
13km section of Greenway between Achill and Mulranny
- MULRANNY to NEWPORT
18km section of Greenway between Achill and Mulranny
- NEWPORT to WESTPORT
11km section of Greenway between Achill and Mulranny
The Greenway crosses through active farmlands which are privately owned. The public have landowner permission to walk or cycle on the Greenway. Please respect private property and livestock and have regard for farming activities.
On the 21st of Feb every year, the Greenway will be closed to the public for one day.
On the Newport / Westport section of the Greenway there is a 2km stretch which shares the N59.
Sounds like a definite addition for my next EcoTour!
Looking at the estimated cycling times I reckon a long weekend would cover it nicely.
- Arrive Westport Thursday night and explore the towns best eateries!
- Friday leave early and cycle to mulranny (4 hours) then stayover there.
- Saturday up and off to Achill (only 1.5 hours) and chillax on the island.
- Sunday up and off from Achill to Westport – working off that hangover! Arrive westport 6/7 hours later .. Guess I’d be leaving Achill by 11am max!
- Stayover in Westport- Massage Anyone? 🙂